This 7-Day Remote Kenya Safari takes you to two remote prolific wildlife conservancies. Experience a different side of Kenya with a camel safari and explore forest trails and crystal clear mountain streams on foot.
Lewa with its dramatic views of the snowcapped Mount Kenya, and diverse habitats from the pristine forest, fertile grasslands, natural springs, and acacia woodland, is a haven for the 70 recorded mammal species found here.
Then travel to the Matthews Range, coated in tropical forests and home to secretive animals, spectacular butterflies, and a wide diversity of birdlife. Explore the forest trails in the company of a local Samburu guide who will reveal the secrets of the forest.
Remote Kenya Safari Highlights
- Experience first-hand true conservation of wilderness areas and African mammals.
- Visit game-rich areas of Kenya, for an exciting and varied safari
- Traverse a rugged 4×4 trail up into the Matthews Range, and enter an area that is truly Samburu
- Leave behind the game vehicle and enjoy the freedom of game viewing on foot, following elephant trails, secret streams, and areas that only a few ever see
- Stay in luxury safari camps, enjoy bush lunches, tales around the campfire, and dining under the stars
Day 1- 3: Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Your remote Kenya safari vacation begins with a morning scheduled flight to the Lewa Conservancy. Here, you can spend your days exploring this diverse Kenya wildlife-rich landscape.
This is one of the best places in Kenya to see the endangered cheetah, Gravy’s zebra, and rhinos. Whilst on your game drives, with guides from the local area, you have the chance of seeing languishing leopards or lions treed by buffalos.
Every game drive offers a new experience of the African bush. Alternatively, you can go on a horse-riding safari or for the less adept riders a camel safari.
Enjoy picnic breakfasts on top of a hill, with panoramic views of the plains and springs below.
At the end of the day, watch the sunset with a chilled sundowner, surrounded by plains animals, before heading back to camp for a sumptuous dinner.
All meals and overnight stay at Lewa Safari camp (FB)
Day 4: Lewa to the Matthews Range
Early morning breakfast at your camp, check out and drive up to the remote part of Lewa to the Matthews Mountains, climbing up the range, passing through traditional Samburu villages with smiling waving children in Samburu dress.
See the Samburu warriors (Moran’s) dressed in all their finery complete with spear and dagger, and the women adorned with their colorful beaded necklaces.
The road becomes a 4×4 track as you climb higher up and leave civilization behind.
At the end of this tortuous track is the welcome sight of the camp in this unique hideaway location.
You will arrive in time for a freshly made delicious lunch. In the afternoon, after tea and cakes, you can set off on an afternoon guided walk into the forest, accompanied by a Samburu guide. Enjoy the peace and tranquility of the area. Listen to the sounds of the bush, and feel all those modern-day stresses fall away.
All meals and overnight stay at Sarara camp/Kitich Camp (FB)
Day 5 – 6: Elephant Paths and Samburu
Spend the next few days relaxing and exploring this beautiful region during your trip to Kenya. Follow the ancient paths made by the elephants as they traverse the forest. Listen to the elephants call one another through the trees. Watch the bushbuck as they come down to the stream in front of the camp.
Wake up to a dawn chorus from the multitude of birds found in this area. Swim in the icy, crystal clear pools after a walk through the dapple-shaded forest. Hike up the mountain, through the ancient cycads endemic to the area. In the evenings sit around the campfire listening to the call of the scoops owl, enjoying pre-dinner drinks, and recounting the day’s activities.
You can also learn how to make a fire without matches (or lighter) the Samburu way. Throw a Samburu spear and see how accurate you are. Learn more about this fascinating culture and visit the nearby village. This walking-only camp is a piece of paradise, a step back in time, and a reminder of simpler times.
All meals and overnight stay at Saruni Samburu Lodge (FB)
Day 7: Matthews Range to Nairobi
On the final morning of your Remote Kenya Safari, you will head back down the mountain range to catch your flight back to Nairobi, where this tour ends.
- Return flights from Wilson Airport to Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
- Shared road transfers to and from airports
- Scenic road transfer from Lewa to Mathews Range
- Scenic road transfer from Mathews Range to Samburu Airstrip
- 6 nights’ accommodation in luxury safari tented camps
- All meals including breakfast, lunch, and dinner as per itinerary
- Select local drinks including teas/coffees, soft drinks, local brand beers, local spirits, and house wines
- Safari activities including: guided game drives, bush picnics & sundowners
- Guided walking safaris (minimum age 12 yrs.)
- River swimming, bird watching
- Laundry service
- All meet and greet services
- Entrance and conservation fees for all reserves as per itinerary
- Camel ride and other optional activities
- Premium branded drinks and all other extras to be settled direct