Mount Longonot, a stratovolcano located southeast of Lake Naivasha in the Great Rift Valley of Kenya, Africa with great sights and scenes perfect for adventure hiking, nature walks, wildlife viewing.
This trip also involves stops at the great Lake Naivasha for a view of the pink carpeted flamingo covered Lake Nakuru.
The name Longonot is derived from the Maasai word Oloonong’ot, meaning “mountains of many spurs” or “steep ridges” .
The mountain is approximately 8.4 miles long and is rated as difficult . The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round .
The whole tour of 13.5 km takes about 4–5 hours allowing for necessary rest breaks – parts of the trail are heavily eroded and very steep . The mountain has several parasitic cones and effusive lava eruptions occur on the flanks and within the caldera floor .
- Hiking: Mount Longonot is a popular hiking destination and offers a challenging climb to the summit. The hike takes about 4-5 hours and offers breathtaking views of the Rift Valley .
- Wildlife Viewing: Mount Longonot is home to several wildlife species such as buffaloes, elands, lions, leopards, bushbucks, common zebras, giraffes, and Grant’s gazelles .
- Nature Walks: The park has several nature trails that offer scenic views of the mountain and the surrounding landscape .
- Photography: Mount Longonot offers several opportunities for photography enthusiasts to capture the beauty of the mountain and the surrounding landscape .
- Camping: The park has several campsites that offer basic facilities for camping .
You will be picked up from a common meeting point at your preferred meeting point/ residential area/ arranged meeting point at exactly 6:30 am sharp by our safari guide driver.
You will the be carried on forward towards Rift valley area, stopping by the great rift valley escarpment for a nice view of the scene as well as taking pictures and buying souvenirs before proceeding.
You will then carry on to Naivasha town for your shopping and bathroom breaks and refreshment before you proceed with this thrilling adventure.
Next stop is at Lake Naivasha for a view of the spectacular view of pink flamingos covering the ocean surface of Lake Nakuru. You will be allowed to take pictures and make stops as you criuse along the shore of Naivasha.
Finally, you arrive at your anticipated destination, mt Longonot . You will be in the company of our professional safari guide who will lead you in hiking the wonderful crater once you get there, you will be able to spot wildlife and bird life from a safe distance with your binoculars. Feel free to also take pictures.
At around 12:30 pm, set up your picnic baskets for lunch at the crater overlooking the rift valley view at your feet.
Your whole excursion is estimated to last for 3-4 hrs where you will depart in the late in good time for your arrival back to Nairobi.
End of tour.
Cost of the tour per person:
1 pax: ksh 22, 750
2 pax: ksh 11, 500
4 pax: ksh 5, 875
6 pax: 4, 000
- Your pick up/ drop off from home & mt Longonot
- Transportation in a safari van with a pop up sun roof in the company of an experienced safari guide.
- Government taxes.
- Cost excludes:
- Drinks/ items of personal nature.
- Anything not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Things to carry: First aid kit, hiking boots, weather-appropriate clothing, plenty of water, plenty of food/snacks, hiking wear, blanket, picnic basket, any other items of personal nature that may be used on the trip, portable lighter/ match, jacket.
- Remember to carry your spirit of adventure!